Sea turtles of Brazil - Camila Miki Kawamura
SOCIAL MEDIA: https://www.facebook.com/camila.miki.kawamura
TITLE: Sea turtles of Brazil
TECHNIQUE: Pencil (for the drawing) / Pen (for the writing)
DESCRIPTION: Among seven species of sea turtles, five can be found on the Brazilian coast. The turtles are:
- Tartaruga-cabeçuda or Mestiça (Caretta caretta)
- Tartaruga-de-oliva (Lepidochelys olivacea)
- Tartaruga-verde or Aruanã (Chelonia mydas)
- Tartaruga-de-pente or Legítima (Eretmochelys imbricata)
- Tartaruga-de-couro or Gigante (Dermochelys coriacea)
Nowadays, these species are suffering risk of extinction, due to the illegal hunting, the marine trash and the water pollution. The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) reports that the five species seen in Brazil are considered vulnerable, but two are at risk of extinction more critical: the Tartaruga-de-pente and the Tartaruga-de-couro.
In Brazil, the main protection project is called "Projeto Tamar", helping the turtles and saving new lives.
WIKIMEDIA COMMONS: Yes. As the author of illustration I have given permission for it to be loaded on Wikimedia Commons, Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 3.0